Where Can I Find Details of Court Cases

Court notices are available free of charge on PACER to anyone with an account. In addition, access to court notices from many appellate, district, and bankruptcy courts is available free of charge in a searchable text format through a partnership with the U.S. Government Publishing Office (GPO) under the E-Government Act. When hearing minutes are prepared, they are added to PACER 90 days later. Before a transcript is added to PACER, a copy is only available for inspection at the clerk`s office. Information on how to purchase a transcript from the court reporter or transcriber within 90 days may be provided by the court registry. There is no maximum fee for transcripts in PACER. The Supreme Court`s file system contains information on pending and decided cases submitted to the Court. The minutes provided here contain complete information on the state of play of cases brought since the beginning of the 2001 parliamentary term. Access to the file is also possible via the publicly accessible terminals of the registry of the court where the case was brought.

Define data requirements for research using the Integrated Database of Federal Supreme Court Cases (IDB), which is provided free of charge by the Federal Judicial Centre. The IDB has case data (not documents) for criminal, civil, appeal, and bankruptcy cases that can help researchers narrow down their queries. If court records and case files can be kept permanently, they are turned over to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) for preservation and preservation. These documents are accessible directly from NARA. In general, a joined case is a case that the court has classified as related to another case. As a rule, these cases may involve identical, similar or related legal issues. If applicable, the affected cases appear in the Applied Case Selector field on the Send Document form. A bid may be submitted in all or some of the related cases listed. If all related cases are disabled, submission will only be forwarded to the main case.

Tip: When you file an application, the cases to which the application applies are displayed on the application screens. Most records prepared prior to 1999 are kept only on paper. Access paper documents from the court where the case was filed or at one of the Federal Document Centres (RCFs). Contact the court where the case was filed for more information. Please note that if you are requesting a fee waiver from a single court and/or for purposes other than research, please contact that court directly. Individual researchers working on defined research projects intended for scientific work can use the attached form (pdf) to apply for PACER fee waivers in several courts. In accordance with the EPO Rules on Fees, the request must be limited in scope and not intended for redistribution over the Internet or for commercial purposes. Find a case before the Federal Court using Public Access to the Court`s Electronic Records (PACER) or by visiting the clerk`s office of the courthouse where the case was filed. All bankruptcy courts have a telephone information system, also known as a voice information system, which allows callers to obtain basic information about cases via a touch-tone telephone. This is free and available 24 hours a day. Holdings from the federal court system are held at the National Archives across the country. For example, the archives of the federal courts in New Hampshire are currently housed at the National Archives in Boston in Waltham, Massachusetts.

Note: In general, federal court records that are less than 15 years old are still in the possession of individual courts that are not kept at the National Archives. Online access to case and case information is provided for a fee by the U.S. Court Administration Office through PACER. The court may refer you to a federal archive for copies. For more information on the history and organization of federal courts, see: The National Archives Court Records cover more than 200 years of federal court proceedings. The first court documents in our collection date from around 1790. It is estimated that there are more than 2.2 billion pages of court records at the National Archives. As the court withdraws documents each year, this number continues to increase. Access to certain types of documents (social security and immigration) in a CM/ECF Court of Appeal may be restricted. To access these documents, researchers must contact the appropriate Federal Court. Users can register with the Bankruptcy Noticing Center (BNC) to receive bankruptcy notices electronically or consolidate all communications from the U.S. Postal Service into a single address.

These communications are sent on the same day they are submitted to the court and are accessible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Court notices sent to multiple locations can be routed to a central address and then easily routed to interested parties. Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) provides electronic public access to federal court records. PACER provides the public with instant access to more than 1 billion documents filed in all federal courts. This website provides information on how to access Michigan`s Third Circuit records through Odyssey Public Access (OPA). Documents submitted by parties are not currently available online. Search and order court records in federal archives Electronic access to Social Security Administration documents is limited to the parties to the case. In addition, documents relating to criminal cases filed before 1 November 2004 are accessible to the parties to the proceedings only by electronic means. Contact the clerk`s office for information on viewing copies. Criminal documents filed after November 1, 2004 are available electronically through PACER. Federal records are stored electronically and are accessible through the Public Access to Electronic Court Records (PACER) service on the Internet. PACER allows anyone with an account to search and locate appellate, county, and bankruptcy court information and routing slips.

Create a PACER account. If you have any questions, please contact the PACER Service Centre at pacer@psc.uscourts.gov or (800) 676-6856.